Thursday, August 09, 2007

Confession


So here it is...

My one major flaw...

What keeps my from the perfection of personality we all strive for (and my mother claims she's achieved)...

I suck at transitions. S-U-C-K. I can't handle it. They transform me from a strong, confident woman into a big ole weepy ball of confusion. And it happens every stinkin time.

You'd think I'd be better at it by now. I mean I've spent almost my entire life as a student, where transition is the name of the game. But no.

Now, for example, I am interning at Hillaryland and trying desperately to find a job. And frankly, it's not going so well. I try to tell give myself little pep talks. "I am employable. I will not work for free forever." I ask myself, "What would Oprah say?" And I know what Oprah would say. She'd probably have Dr. Robin give me a good dose of "get over yourself" - followed up by a solid helping of "get going."

My logical self knows all that. However, my illogical self worries that I'll never get a job, that I've messed up my life, or (the scariest one of all) that this "transition" will never transition and that I'll be stuck here forever.

2 comments:

Rob said...

If it's any consolation, your insecurities are widely shared among the human race, which is one of the reasons being unemployed is such a stressful condition. I start to get anxious if I'm away from work for a few days on vacation.

Haley said...

Sarah,
You are definitely not alone! I know that a lot of us are thinking "The real world? What?" when we realize we've been in school forever! Hang in there. Things will turn out fine!
Haley