Thursday, October 12, 2006

Writing it all down...



Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my Editor-in-Chief column from college. Specifically, I've been thinking about the column I wrote before the invasion of Iraq when I wrote these words: "Make no mistake; a war on Iraq will create more resentment towards the United States. We may take down one enemy but we will create many many more." (Don't worry Dad this isn't going to become a rant about the war! Because seriously when they are talking about it on Oprah I think I'd be beating a dead horse) ;)

So I pulled out the disk with my old college stuff on it in order to find that column and ended up reading all of my columns from that year. They range in topics from the Dixie Chicks (and one infamous comment in particular) to great places to go in Lexington. They made me realize how much I still miss Transy and how I really miss writing those columns.

They also made me realize how much I've changed since I graduated three years ago. Throughout the columns I speak passionately about feminism, equality, and justice. I made pleas for more activism on campus and talked about the beauty and promise of ideas.

Jeez, what a schmuck!

Kidding of course! But only sort of - my idealism and passion really hit me hard, mainly because I'm afraid they are fading. I don't talk about the beauty of ideas anymore. I talk about poll numbers and elections and (God help me) last week's episode of Meet the Press. Maybe it's true what they say - law school really does suck out your soul or DC is the seventh ring of hell or (gulp) my mother was right and I'll "see" when I get older. I don't know.

I hope that I can maintain my passion and hope. I'm still the same little girl who listened to her PaPa talk about politicians and how good ones stuck up for the working man. But now I know sticking up for the working man is never as simple as one vote or one election. I'm still the bright-eyed college freshman who realized other women felt the same way she did and that they called it feminism. But now I know feminism is only a small piece of the puzzle, not the puzzle itself. I still admire the radicalism of Gandhi, King, and Friedan. But now I am in awe of the political genius of Abraham Lincoln and FDR.

I hope I can balance my idealistic past with my pragmatic future. I hope I don't become completely cynical and apathetic. I hope don't forget where I came from and where I have always planned on going. I hope. I hope. I hope.



Whew...now that I've got that off my chest, back to sappy dog video and decorating disasters. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good post, Stew.

I enjoy the topics of politics, but couldn't personally be involved due to some of the reasons you mention (well, and apparently I'm frequently a victim of the strawman, which probably wouldn't serve one well on the campaign trail).

What disturbs me about politics is the catch 22 we find ourselves in when it comes to politicians...we need good, quality people to run, but by the time a good, quality person becomes well known, they realize that lifes too short and they can't stand the thought of becoming a politician (e.g. Colin Powell). Or, they sacrifice themselves, lose their passion and vision, and the candidate that's elected no longer holds the values and determination they once did.

I think it's difficult to "stick up for the working man" when politicians spend very little time in their home states living among the working man. DC is unlike any other part of the country, in many ways. The air that gets breathed in DC changes your thinking...I'm convinced of it :)

I knew I shouldn't have checked your blog...I'm gunna be late for work!

Sarah said...

Ok you might want to sit down for this...I agree with you Jessica. DC is a different environment and there are a lot of power people in both parties that could do with a trip outside the Beltway.

I get very very angry at the elitist and patronzing criticism that gets made up here of "middle America." That Americans are stupid and don't care and blah blah blah. It's bullshit. Americans are smart and they do care. But they are busy working hard and raising their families. I live and breath politics - I love it and I always have but that doesn't make me superior or smarter. It just makes me different and maybe a bit crazy.

Anonymous said...

Regardless Sarah I think you're fabulous...I mean we were friends even through my idealistic "Young Republicans" phase. Its like I told you, I can look back at a lot of what you said in college, and maybe I was swayed by my conservative, elitist, hypocrytical friends, but you were so right. I love my family and I love that they are passionate about everything their chosen party has to offer, but I am not that little girl in a small town dreaming of marrying someone who will "allow" me to be a good little republican wife. I feel like we all change after a good dose of reality.

At least in your case, you are hoping to balance the past and future; in mine I am begging to get out of a party who suppresses who I am....

Sarah said...

Thank you darlin! If I know one thing it is this - nobody supresses Stephanie :)

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetheart, I have always loved ands will always love the passionate way you feel about things. And I to still have some idealism in me as well. I would like to think that some day a Josiah will come along and help politicians to understand that they are working for the American people. That instead of poll numbers they will recognize the American people need for them to work together and not to see who can one up the other. Anyway you kepp up your pasion and your ideals. Love You

Sarah said...

Wait who's anonymous? And do you mean Josiah Bartlett?