Thursday, October 19, 2006

Innovative = Ugly



Stupid Jeffrey won stupid Project Runway and I am never watching that stupid show ever again...

ok cleansing breath...

Let me start over.

I have never been obsessed wtih Project Runway. My friends all loved it but I didn't start watching till this season. I realized why I have avoided it for so long. I used to say I love fashion but now I realize I love clothes. I kind of hate fashion.

I love the power of a good outfit. I love a woman's face when she gets a really good make over. I love watching What Not To Wear (BBC version of course!) and seeing the way a woman's entire of opinion of herself can change because she puts on a pair of pants that flatter her body. It is impossible and exhausting as a woman to try to keep up with the picture of how you are "supposed" to look like. However, when you finally realize that you might never be able to wear skinny jeans (the name alone says it all) or cap sleeves but you can seriously rock a wrap dress or deep V sweater, you can truly be set free. Seriously, the day I got rid of all my capri pants is one of the best days of my life!

Fashion is not about any of those things. I hate fashion because so much of it is complete bullshit. Don't get me wrong - there is real artistry out there. I mean this is art. Period. But the skeleton models and absurd fashion and even more absurd personalities can all be too much. And it has almost nothing to do with real women. I mean no one would wear the sweater by Jeffrey (shown above). No one. Even Uli's collection, who the judges praised as wearable by "every woman," featured beautiful clothes that can be worn by a select few. I said several times "Gorgeous but no one with boobs could wear that." Or "Fabulous but only for the very very skinny."

I mean how reflective is it that the winner of the competition failed miserably at the challenge involving "real" women from the designers' lives. Not only did he make a truly ugly piece of clothing but he made the woman cry in the process. Please.

Auf Wiedersehen Project Runway!
Calling Trinny and Susannah!

1 comment:

Haley said...

Uli! Uli! Uli! I think we should have a re-vote!