Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I DID IT!



In 1998, the American Film Institute released the top 100 movies of all time. I don't remember when I decided to try to watch them all but it was soon after they were released. When I first looked through the list, I think I had seen about 20 or 30 of them. They spanned from 1915 to 1996 and I'd seen most of the recent ones: Fargo, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump. I've spent the past seven years watching the rest. I wasn't completely hard core and my rate of watching would dip and wane. First, I would search the TV Guide and record them on the VCR. Then Tivo came along and really sped the process along. Finally, we joined Netflix and I got to see all the rare ones or really dirty ones uncensored. But I watched Mutiny on the Bounty this evening and finished the list. Here's a rundown on some of my casual impressions:

Better then I expected: Casablanca, Jaws, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Apartment, A Clockwork Orange, Gold Rush
As bad as I expected: Lawrence of Arabia, Patton, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Worse than I expected: The French Connection, The Birth of a Nation, From Here to Eternity, The Jazz Singer

Weirdest plot twist: Chinatown - You're sister is your WHAT?
Most annoying child: Shane - MAAAAAAA!!! PAAAAAA!!!!
Best chemistry: Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Most unnecessary ending: Easy Rider
Hottest man ever: Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Hottest woman ever: Elizabeth Taylor in A Place in the Sun
Most homoerotic film: Ben-Hur - Best friends from childhood my ass
Most anxiety producing film: High Noon
Craziest Eyes: Sunset Boulevard - I'm ready for the close up of my crazy eyes Mr. DeMille
Most confusing trend: Boxing films and use of the word bum
Worst villain: Captain Bligh from Mutiny on the Bounty - SERIOUS asshole, I'd go mutiny on his ass too.
Best costumes: Gone With The Wind
Saddest character: Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire
Worst book adaptation: Wuthering Heights


So those are my preliminary impressions. Now I guess I'll catch up on the post-1996 classics. Anybody own a copy of Rush Hour 2?

No comments: