Sunday, August 21, 2005

Back to reality


Los Padres National Park
Originally uploaded by The Smooze.
I start school tomorrow which is bad enough, but made worse by the end of our wonderful vacation only a few days ago.

Nicholas and I went to visit my father in California for a week. Since he'd never been before, we decided to pile in as much as possible. We met my dad in Los Angeles and did all the tourist stops: Graumann's Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, where O.J. killed Nicole. Then we drove north up the Pacific Coast Highway.

First, we stopped in Santa Barbara. We shopped downtown and ate at Oprah's favorite restaurant in Montecito - Trattoria Mollie. While we didn't see Oprah, we did sit across from Carole Burnett. Of course I had to talk to her and tell her I still had the signed picture she sent me when I wrote her in 3rd grade. She was very very sweet.

Second, we stopped in Monterey. On our way there, we stopped at Edna Valley vineyard and tasted an amazing Pinot Noir (I know so Sideways!). We tried to see Hearst Castle but it was sold out for the day.

Last, we spent a day and a half in San Francisco. We ate clam chowder from a sour dough breadbowl on the wharf, drank tea in the Japanese Tea Garden, sampled fortune cookies in Chinatown, and had breakfast at the Pork Store in Haight Ashbury (shouldn't that be in Castro!).

All in all it was an absolutely wonderful trip made even more wonderful by the generosity of my dad who paid for the whole trip and drove us where ever our hearts' desired.

Thanks Daddy!

No comments: