I love lists. Not all lists. Not little to do lists or shopping lists. Big lists. Lists of what you want to accomplish.
When I was in middle school, I remember reading these self-help books for kids. They were all about motivating yourself and achieving your goals. They recommended writing a lists of what you wanted to do in your life.
So I did. I believe it included everything from "Meet Dean Cain" to "Read the Bible." Well, I have never had the honor of meeting Mr. Cain but I actually did finish reading the Bible before I graduated from high school. I guess I've been hooked ever since.
I made another list almost two years ago that has been our family's North Star ever since. It's the one pictured above. I made it in an attempt to convince Nicholas that the changes I were proposing were achievable. As a details man, he was overwhelmed by the prospect of uprooting our lives in DC and all that entailed. However, a professor in college once called me the Queen of Proximate Knowledge and I like to think this means I can also see the bigger picture.
"See this is all we have to do!"
A small list of seven things that would change our lives forever.
Well, that list is almost complete. Even though, the last unchecked item says "Sarah: Take Bar" I refuse to check it off until I've actually passed. However, for all intents and purposes, I think this list has done its job and I've decided to make another list.
I turn 30 on July 28, 2011.
Whoa. Typing that sentence made it seem real.
I'm ready to turn 30. The twenties have been great but I hold no illusions in regards to youth. I think it's because I watched my parents enjoying middle age so much I've always looked forward to it myself.
But just the same - turning 30 is pretty monumental and I was inspired by Making It Lovely who made a list of thirty things she wants to accomplish before turning 30. I decided to do the same and voila!
Thirty before 30
- Have another baby.
- Visit Abraham Lincoln's birth place and grave.
- Watch Griffin play in the ocean for the first time.
- Plan the most perfect first birthday for Griffin.
- Read A Wrinkle in Time.
- Have the most spectacular 30th birthday party.
- Organize my pantry.
- Learn how to play chess.
- Make a crepe cake.
- Landscape our yard.
- Find a hairstyle I love.
- Write a historical fiction short story.
- Paint my den and kitchen.
- Finish the ancestry book I've been working on.
- Have a romantic weekend away with Nicholas sans bebe.
- Start doing yoga again.
- Run a marathon relay.
- Read The Age of Innocence.
- Visit my best friend Laura in New York City.
- Buy another pair of Manolos.
- Go to New Orleans for the first time.
- Plan a fantastic girls weekend with my best friends from college who are also turning 30 very soon!
- Make these chocolate chip cookies.
- Find a job I love.
- Turn my current laundry/storage room into a craft/exercise room.
- Get a fantastic family portrait taken.
- Go back to DC for a visit.
- Read The Lacuna.
- Go to Lillith Fair.
- Learn how to play tennis.