Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our Magical Wedding Weekend


The Happy Couple
Originally uploaded by SarahorNicholas

We spent the weekend in New York City celebrating the marriage of our wonderful friends Laura and Dan (now Sinrod). We arrived Saturday afternoon and met Nicholas's high school friend Joseph and his girlfriend Annie for pizza at the famous Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge. I'd never been to Brooklyn so I thought popping over the bridge for

one of the city's best pies sounded fun. We tried the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and walked back across the Bridge to our hotel.

That night Dan's parents hosted a party for the out of town guests at City Hall Restaurant. We started the night with cocktails in their Granite Room, which apparently used to be a Prohibition Era speakeasy. Then we had an amazing dinner upstairs where I got to try matzo ball soup for the first time. While the food was wonderful, the best part of the evening were the heartfelt toasts from the wedding party. I even added my own when they opened up the floor, toasting Laura the only person I know who might love Oprah more than me and Dan the only man who might be more tolerant of his Oprah loving spouse than Nicholas. ;)

On Sunday, we met my friend Dave and his sister for lunch and walked around the city a bit. The wedding started at 5 so we went back to the hotel pretty early to get ready. Both the ceremony and the reception were held at the Angel Orensanz Foundation, which is really the most gorgeous, magical space. The entire place was decorated with huge arrangements of cherry blossom branches and candlelight. The effect was completely enchanting.

Needless to say, the mood was set for Laura's entry and she did not disappoint. Her dress was nothing short of a work of art but Laura WORE that dress and not the other way around. She was magnificent. It was the first Jewish wedding I've ever been to a

nd I was really touched by all the symbolism but also the personal touches Dan and Laura added. I was also completely stoked for the breaking of the glass, even if it took Dan a couple tries. ;)

After the ceremony we moved up to the balcony for the cocktail hour, where I had my first ever grilled cheese with truffles. I proceeded the stalk the waiter with said grilled cheese the rest of the evening. We had dinner and dancing downstairs and there was some hard freaking partying for a Sunday night I'll tell you that. This was due in large part to the great live band. I've always been a bit skeptical of live bands but they rocked it and kept the party going late into the night.

So, yeah in a nutshell, it was definitely one of the most amazing weddings I have ever been to and we will be forever grateful that Laura and Dan included us in the festivities.

5 comments:

Haley said...

no pics of the bride in her beautiful dress?

Sarah said...

I forgot my camera. I don't want to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

Good! I hate people who take pictures at weddings (receptions, fine, but not the ceremonies.) It's not a sporting event. The bride and groom are paying people to take photos, so you can sit still, not make noise, and watch 'em get hitched.

Haley said...

Dylan, I agree! I did not mean to say Sarah should have taken pics DURING the ceremony, but afterwards at the reception.

Sarah, please post any pics if Laura sends some to you from her photographer! (or just email them to me!) I'd love to see them! Sounds like a great wedding!

Anonymous said...

Okay, Haley! I thought I missed a major revision in etiquette and decorum as some of last few weddings I've been to turned attendees from passive observers into rabid paparazzi. In a church!

Poor form, photogs. Poor form.