Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Holiday Remix


Today everyone returned from the holidays, which lead to the inevitable "How were your holidays?" and "What did you get for Christmas?"

It got me thinking about some of my favorite Christmas presents - given or received.

First, let's just be honest. There is Christmas and then there is getting Barbie's Dream House for Christmas. Loosely analogous I'd say to working at Wal-mart versus...being Oprah. Apparently, my poor mother, aunts, uncles, and grandmother stayed up late into the night assembling Barbie's mansion and carefully placing assorted stickers. And can I just say a very belated thank you!

The only childhood Christmas I remember even coming close was the year I got the all the Barbie and the Rockers along with the sing-a-long guitar and microphone...oh and a hamster...and a bike. :) Now I will say I've received presents as an adult that I treasure but nothing really compares to coming around the corner and seeing a room full of toys.

Now, also not surprisingly, giving gifts has been more fun as an adult. Not to brag but I'm a pretty decent gift giver. I really try to listen to what people want or give thoughtful presents. I see it as a challenge.

I think I've definitely met the challenge this year with Nicholas. He kept mentioning that he'd like to take up fishing and we've been talking about him finding a good stress-reducing hobby. I tried to take him on a fishing trip for his birthday but SOMEBODY had to rupture a disc in her spine and have surgery...ahemMaggie! So, for Christmas this year, I bought him a fishing pole, tackle box, and bait. Well, you'd think I bought him Barbie's Dream House. The first day we got back he went to the library to check out books on fishing and he's already walked almost all of Rock Creek Park scoping out good spots. Plus, he keeps walking around the house his new fishing pole and (dear God save me) he's started Tivoing fishing shows. So, yeah, I'd say it's a hit.

One of my other favorite presents I have ever given was to my best guy friends in college Mike and Smith. They were freshmen and their excitement over all the new knowledge was palpable. So, I went to all of their favorite professors and asked what they thought was the most important book for an awakening progressive to own. Then I built a little library for them. Now, I don't know if they enjoyed it but I sure was jealous! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember making that gown...I'm glad you've kept your sense of style. But, wasn't it a black gerbil.

Sarah said...

Um no! Hello! My hamster died THEN I got the gerbil.