Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Best Comedy EVER!


First, let me be clear, the best comedy of all time is Designing Women. Period. However, since it wasn't on the bracket, I guess we'll be naming the second best comedy ever.

We're going to ignore Erin and Pamela with their Golden Girls and Wonder Years, because that's just silly talk. ;) Annie isn't too old because my final two were The Cosby Show and Seinfeld. The reason I excluded Arrested Development is because I think historic importance and mass appeal are incredibly important and in both categories it falls short. Like Nicholas said, without Seinfeld there would be no Arrested Developments. I think there is a solid argument that The Cosby Show is more historically important, mainly because of the barriers it broke down. I also think The Cosby Show was a bigger accomplishment because of the freshness it brought to family sitcoms and the fact that it is still funny and entertaining after all these years. BUT then again Seinfeld was completely groundbreaking and deserves so much credit because of what it made possible (Arrested Development, The Office, and of course Curb Your Enthusiasm).

So, in other words, it's a tie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree that things that could be described as "best" should have "mass appeal." It's so seldom the case.

Christopher said...

"Best lists" are a distraction from what's important. However, I note with some amusement that your list contains nothing that came before 1980.