Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Swing Time



Despite my self-professed passion for dancing flicks, I had never actually seen a Fred and Ginger movie and - oh man! - was I missing out. It is like they are connected by invisible strings, moving constantly in sync.
More importantly, what makes them standout against all the ballroom I've ever seen, is the seeming absence of effort. Sometimes I watch ballroom dancers, particularly the hardcore professionals, and it seems like every muscle in their body is tense. But F&G just glide and twirl and dip as if the movements are more natural than walking. It is stunning.
What surprised me even more (besides the blackface number no one mentions) is what good actors they both were. They were funny and charming and their chemistry was amazing. I won't lie and say the rest of the movie was genius - it's still all about the dance numbers. However, overall it was really entertaining and now I really want to see more F&G flicks.

No comments: