Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Mother's Day...a smidge early



On Oprah today, Maria Shriver interviewed Demi Moore about her role as a mother and her own decade-long estrangement from her mother. In speaking about her philosophy of parenting, she articulated what I think is essential.

"I'm not trying to do for them what wasn't done for me, I'm trying to do for them what they need as individuals."

I've heard this idea before but never put so eloquently. I think this has got to be one of the most profound challenges as a parent, particularly as a mother of a daughter. However, I know how essential it is because it is exactly what my mother did for me. Maybe it was because her mother was so great or maybe it's because she very wisely dealt with her major issues before having me, but either way she gave me the freedom and guidance to become who I needed to be, not who she needed me to be.

Thanks for that Mom. I love you.

No comments: