Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Hives Suck!

On Friday night, my arms started to itch. Upon closer inspection, I found a few small red bumps. Reassured by Nicholas that it was just a little heat rash, I took an Aveno bath and tried to watch Pirates of the Caribbean. Halfway through the film, I go to the restroom to discover my left eye is swollen and the bumps have spread to my back. At this point I totally and completely freak out and start to cry. Nicholas takes me to the ER where they are surprisingly quick in getting me in a bed and pumped full of benydrl. A couple of hours of doped up sleep later the hives are gone and we go home at approximately 3am.

The next morning I continue to take benydrl and steroids but the hives come back with a vengeance and I am starting to look like a science experiment. We decide not to go back to the ER b/c they are only going to give me more of the drugs I already have and tell me they don't know what's causing it. By Sunday, the hives are still in place although mainly on my arms and legs. On Monday I get into to see my dermatologist who gives me a prescription for allegra and tells me they won't be able to tell me what caused the hives either. They're pretty sure it wasn't anything topical but beyond that I just have to pray I don't encounter whatever the hell it was ever again. Like I said...hives suck!

No comments: