Thursday, January 22, 2004

Celebrating Choice

Today is the 31st anniversary of Roe v. Wade. As one can imagine, this is quite a big deal at Planned Parenthood. There was a press conference this morning and tonight is Rock n Roe, our benefit concert. All proceeds will go to the March for Women's Lives in Washington, DC, April 25. (If you are prochoice, plan on being there!)

Being raised Southern Baptist, I have a constant voice in my head that argues against my pro-choice beliefs. It places blame, hands out plenty of guilt, and sounds an awful lot like my old youth minister. When the voice becomes too much, I usually find myself looking around me at the amazing people I work with and the patients we serve everyday. My coworkers are kind, passionate, dedicated people that stand up for the women everyone forgets - minority women, poor women, immigrant women. The patients are always relieved to find a place free of judgment and full of kindness. These people remind me that choice is not really about politics, religion, or government. It is about women and the life decisions they have right to make. Or as my coworker says Pro choice is pro life when women's lives matter.

No comments: