Tuesday, June 10, 2003

It's Your Birthday, It's Your Birthday, You Got a Cake, With Your Name on It, and a Candle

I had a pretty good birthday weekend. It started with a welcome party for all the summer associates at a partner's house. It was a pretty amazing house, with all sorts of modern art (Sarah was especially impressed with the Lichtenstein in the study) and sports memoribilia (I was especially impressed by the Michigan Jersey signed by the Fab Five). The food was great and we both enjoyed ourselves.

On Sunday we went to Vintage Virginia, which is the Virginia wine festival where the Virginia wineries share their fermented grape-juice. Some of it was pretty foul, but there was enough good to make it worthwhile. Despite the fact that it was really muddy and I walked around all day with my jeans rolled up to me knees like Huck Finn, we had a great time. Needless to say, we were very dehydrated when we got home. Later that night we went to Annie and Kyle's house and shared a birthday cake that Sarah bought at Eastern Market. (Good times, good times.)

Yesterday at work the other summer associates had a surprise birthday celebration for two other summers and me, who have birthdays either on the 8th or the 9th. Last night, Sarah, Annie, Kyle, and I saw Finding Nemo, which was absolutely amazing. Pixar always manages to have one really blow-you-out-of-the-theater scene in every movie they do (the door assembly line from Monsters, Inc. comes to mind), but I think this one had three. The inside-the-whale scene in this movie was just amazing, but I thought that the jellyfish scene and the "E-A-C" scene were pretty awesome, too. Best line of the movie goes to the young fish early in the movie who yells, "I'm obnoxious!" If you haven't seen the movie, you can't truly appreciate it, so what's stopping you?

We are getting into the first truly hot days of summer here in DC and I believe the firm's business casual policy is a stroke of genius. I can't imagine wearing a suit in this swamp.

In other news, I made Sauteed Tilapia filets tonight which were pretty good. I'd never even heard of Tilapia until the guy at the market sold it to me because I was too flustered to say no, but the magic of the Internet made me a regular Tilapia expert. My next cooking adventure is going to be Pasta Primavera, I'll let you know how that goes.


No comments: