Monday, November 03, 2008

The Future

Tomorrow is Election Day. I will wake up early, go to my polling place, and cast my vote for Barack Obama for the next President of the United States. In past elections, I've written long explanations for why I am a Democrat or why I voted for Hillary Clinton. To be honest, I could write a book the size of War and Peace about why I am voting for Barack Obama instead of John McCain.

Instead, this post seems to coincide with another post I've been working on for awhile. The coincidental timing seemed to make sense so I thought I would combine the two.

At the end of May, Nicholas and I will welcome our first child into the world. We are beyond excited and cannot wait for our lives to be changed in every way possible. So, I can't help but look at this election through the prism of not only how this election will affect me, but also future generations, and this is what I know for sure.

On July 27, 2004, Barack Obama stood on the stage of the Democratic National Convention and stated these words:


He offered a vision of America that took my breath away. It is an America I believe only he can deliver.

Most importantly, it is an America I want to raise my baby in. That is why I am voting for Barack Obama.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Goosebumps.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the addition to the family. I am almost afraid to admit how much I hope for a win, tomorrow. That is the only way I can envision the change necessary to restore America to what I know we can be.

Heather C. Watson said...

Sarah--

I'm so very thrilled for y'all!

I love knowing that this little one will be raised to think for herself and to have the courage of her convictions. You'll be a wonderful mama!

What an amazing way to let your blog fans know about your impending arrival... visualizing a world of HOPE. :)

h

Haley said...

I drank the Obama Kool-Aid and I liked it.

Unknown said...

This was the perfect way to end November 3 and kick off November 4. Hope to chat at some point during the returns. Thrilled for you all over again.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Being a momma is amazing! I took both my girls to the polls this morning and explained how important it was to vote to Rylee (Alayna is only 10 months....so she just munched on cheerios the whole time).