Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sarah's Selections

So, I read. I read a lot. I read books, magazines, websites, blogs. I read about politics, pop culture, health, the environment, or whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment, and I've realized recently I really love sharing and talking about the things I read. Hence, a new weekly feature here at The Best Blog EVER!!!, where I will share some of the things I've read over the last week. Feel free to comment or leave links to things you've read recently.

#1 pick - completely fascinating article about how shoes screw up our feet, which evolved to function best barefoot.

Great article on Evangelical's interaction with pop culture:
"That's true when you create a sanitized version of bands like Nirvana or artists like Jay-Z, too: You shoehorn a message that's essentially about obeying authority into a genre that's rebellious and nihilistic, and the result can be ugly, fake, or just limp."

Fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Interview with Sarah Jessica Parker with great analysis of Sex and the City:
"And suddenly I was hooked, enthralled! With each season, I loved the show more; the scariness I’d sensed, the anxiety and the anger, was still there, but so was a sweet fantasy of female friendship. The characters were archetypes and real people at once, a neat trick. As a single woman in my thirties, I was grateful for it all: Wouldn’t you rather have your family fear for your life as a glamour-grotesque than pity it as a Cathy cartoon?"

Good news for every woman in my family :)

Amazing Martha Beck (who I love) piece on religion. She really captures the good and bad of what religion has to offer.

On a final note, not a great article just a great quote -
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Krishnamurti

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN !

The article may not have been to great but the quote was
is priceless.

Lana