Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day


There has been a lot of posting on the intertubes lately of this article. The author basically argues that romance is overrated and that women should "settle."

"It sounds obvious now, but I didn’t fully appreciate back then that what makes for a good marriage isn’t necessarily what makes for a good romantic relationship. Once you’re married, it’s not about whom you want to go on vacation with; it’s about whom you want to run a household with. Marriage isn’t a passion-fest; it’s more like a partnership formed to run a very small, mundane, and often boring nonprofit business. And I mean this in a good way."

Well, this article has inspired me to make a confession about shift from romance to reality...I am a recovering romantic comedy addict.

There I said it.

I watched them all and I've watched them multiple times. I've seen Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, and the vastly underappreciated Only You more times than I can count. I was there everytime with kleenex - ready to buy it all hook, line, and sinker.

And while I'm still down for a Sunday viewing of WHMS or an occasional Notebook, I have to tell you "settling" for the real thing who is not romantic, does not understand the value of a grand gesture, and who functions without the benefits of screenwriters is way worth it. Suddenly his everyday (and not made for the big screen) acts of unloading the dishwasher even when it's my turn, forgiving my sometime nasty attitude and nastier comments, or just plain standing by my side and loving me no matter what seem a lot more valuable.

Happy Valentine's Day, Nicholas. I love you.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

awwwww....

Haley said...

awww!