Monday, November 05, 2007

Sweetest Movie Ever

As many of you know, I have this sort of obsession with completing lists or actually completion in general. I even like finishing a bottle of shampoo. No joke. I don't know where it comes from, but I just love it.

So, ever since I completed the AFI Top 100 list (for the second time), I've been working on Best Picture Winners. I'd already seen pretty much everything past 1970 and most of the 1960s. There are about 20 I haven't seen so I've been slowing watching them mixed in with documentaries and more recent films so my husband doesn't kill me. ;)

Recently, I watched Marty, the Best Picture Winner for 1955. It's the story of an unlucky in love butcher, played by Ernest Borgnine, who lives with his mother. He meets a lonely schoolteacher and everything changes.

Ernest Bornine is really the key to the whole film. I felt such heartbreaking sympathy for him I was pushed to tears several times. He played Marty with such earnestness, such genuine decency that I wanted to reach through the screen and hug him. When he finally meets Clara, played by Betsy Blair, you are rooting for both of them so intensely that I almost couldn't bare it. More than I rooted for Sam and Annie in Sleepless in Seattle and even more than I rooted for (and this is big) Noah and Allie in The Notebook.

The whole movie was so precious and endearing I can't recommend it highly enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your second paragraph indicates that Ernest Borgnine plays the mother, which, yeah, now I want to see that film.

Anonymous said...

Now that you've edited your original post, my comment doesn't make much sense. Which, I guess, is perfectly in line with most of what I say or write.

You win this round.