Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Huh?


Now ya'll know I don't usually criticize Oprah, but I'm a little confused by today's show. The show was titled "How to be a star at work or at home" and featured Cathie Black, the CEO of Hearst Magazines. The first 1/3 of the show featured Cathie's advice on work and life. I was really impressed by her and even put her book on my amazon wishlist (for those of you who forgot to give me a law school graduation gift!) ;)

However, the rest of the show was basically a big old fashion show. At first, I was excited. I like fashion as much as the next girl and I don't think it is necessarily a frivolous topic. How you look makes a difference in work and life. Period. But the fashion just kept going and I started to think, "Wait, is this the only thing women in the work force should worry about? How we look?" I couldn't help but think if Warren Buffett or Jack Welch had been on the show they wouldn't have spent quite so much time on day-to-evening wear transitions.

Towards the end even Cathie Black looked a bit uncomfortable. I can't blame her.

No comments: