Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas ya'll!!!


Christmas in Kentucky
Originally uploaded by SarahorNicholas.
The very first day we got back from Thanksgiving I began decorating for Christmas. I would have started at midnight on Thanksgiving if possible so to soak every last second out of the holidays. For those of you who don't know me AT ALL, I (heart) Christmas.

For example, as I was decorating my tree, my friend Dylan expressed surprise at my multiple boxes of ornaments and the fact that I have so many decorations at such a young age. (I have two boxes and would guess around 70+ ornaments.)

As way of explaination, I thought I would offer pictures of my mother's house so that everyone can fully understand that I really have no choice. Christmas has always been a huge deal at my house. It's partly because I am an only child and partly because my parents love the holiday. (Although when I was little, my stepfather tried repeatedly to convince me Christmas was cancelled.)

It's not just that my mother decorates - its more of an explosion. No room or surface is left untouched. I used to say it looked like Santa Claus threw up all over our house.

We have two beautiful trees (not counting the one outside). A ton of nativity scenes. angels, lights, and Santa Claus's. She has THREE sets of everyday Christmas dishes and one set of fine Christmas china. The bathroom is covered. The extra bedrooms have themes. Even the phone stand is covered.

But you know what's really sad? The pictures from this year are low key. She has boxes and boxes left untouched.

Who am I kidding though? I love it. It makes every holiday so much more special. And what I've noticed from watching other people is that it's a lot easier to go with the Christmas tidal wave then to fight it :)

So Merry Christmas everyone - I hope your holiday is filled with friends, family, food and a crapload of decorations!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Haley said...

I know how you feel. The day after Thanksgiving my mom was putting away the pilgrims and acorn salt & pepper shakers, and bringing out Santa and Frosty. And the funny thing is--they spent Christmas in DC! They weren't even HOME for a week before Christmas!
I hope you had a great Christmas!