Thursday, August 17, 2006

Let's go to the movies!



In less than a week, Nicholas and I managed to see the best movie and the worst movie we've seen this year. Let's start with the good.

Little Miss Sunshine. Seriously ya'll I cannot say enough good things about this movie. It was absolutely wonderful. I laughed, I cried, I did both at the same time. The characters were complex. You hated them one minute and loved them the next. I won't even get started on the actors themselves - who were truly superb. The movie was about family, its disfunction but its overall important. It was so beautiful and sincere I found myself missing my own family very very much. So in other words stop what you are doing and go see this movie immediately.

Now on to the bad...

Step Up. So here's the thing. I have a weakness for dancing flicks. I've grown out of the romantic comedies and teen girl movies of my youth but give me a dance sequence and a cheesy love story and I am there! Maybe it was growing up on Dirty Dancing, I don't know but I am powerless in the face of it. Step Up looked like the best kind of dancing flick. Good girl meets boy from wrong side of the track. Plus, I loved the whole classically trained v. street style bit - it's so The Cutting Edge.

Alas, Step Up turned out to be a complete piece of crap and a great example of why truly great dancing flicks are so rare. It turns out being able to dance AND act not so easy. These kids could definitely dance but wow. They. Could. Not. Act. It was painful. Really truly painful. So painful we were laughing at really inappropriate times - like when one of the characters got shot. Because it was just that bad. It really makes you appreciate the John Travolta's and Patrick Swayze's of the world I'll tell you that much.

But none of that matters now and let me tell you why...

Because ...

tonight ...

I am going to see ...

SNAKES ON A MOTHERF*$&ING PLANE!!!!!!

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Haha. So glad somoene else is pumped for snakes on a plane, whose title is one reason of the main reasons to see it.