Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A beautiful NY event

Last night I went to New York with Jamie and Miti Figueredo, another Raskin volunteer, for a fundraiser at the beautiful home of Kitty and Lewis Steel. There apartment is a "pre-war", (Miti says that's a big NY realty term) several thousand square feet, art on every wall masterpiece overlooking Central Park. The only thing better than the apartment was Kitty herself. A former Broadway star and current psychoanalyst Kitty is just completely fabulous. The walls of their home are covered with pictures of her with everyone from Jimmy Durante to Bill Clinton (their son Patrick was his schedule) to Elvis Presley.

Kitty and Lewis were both great hosts for our fundraiser which featured Katrina vanden Heuvel and Hendrik Hertzberg saying really kind and wonderful things about Jamie. The evening was filled great conversation and of course generous contributions.

Much like my trip to Harvard, I was overwhelmed by my environment and the brilliance and passion of those around me. Between the amazing apartment and more amazing people, I had to remind myself to close my mouth on more than one occasion. Luckily, these sophisticated Manhattanites seemed to pretty forgiving of this Kentucky girl's astonishment - of course the accent never hurts! ;)

No comments: