Monday, March 13, 2006

London Calling


London Calling
Originally uploaded by SarahorNicholas.
As promised, I will related some of the details of my very quick, very tiring trip to London.

I arrived Friday night very late and spent several hours convincing myself I was tired. On Saturday, Brad and I went to Portobello Market and had (according to Jamie Oliver) the best fish and chips in all of London at George's. It was in fact pretty fantastic. From street market to super upscale, we stopped off at Fortnum and Mason's where I bought various English foods. When Nicholas asked why I was so excited because the British aren't exactly known for their food, I reminded him that they are masters at anything in a jar (jam, clotted cream, mustards, etc.). He thought this was bloody hilarious, as they say.

On Sunday, we the Tate to Tate ferry to the Tate Modern and had high tea at Brad's private club. Then I went up in the London Eye while Brad went to church. (He described it as charismatic Church of England, which didn't exactly interest me.) We ate dinner at this delightful (and highly recommended - Thanks Laura!) restaurant called Chelsea Kitchen. Monday and Tuesday I was pretty much on my own as Brad was finishing up his semester. On Monday, I went to the National Gallery and just generally explored the city before meeting Brad for some evening Wagamama and Shakespeare . On Tuesday, I took a bus tour to Stonehenge and Bath. Bath, in particular the actual Roman Baths, was incredibly fascinating and strikingly beautiful.
Wednesday, it was back home to American, which consisted of approx. 11 hours of travel.

No comments: