Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cool things I didn't post about because I was too busy doing other cool things

Nicholas and I have had a busy couple of weeks. Busy at work, busy doing super-cool things on the weekend. So, consider this a big catch-up session.

Two weekends ago, Nicholas and I went to the minibar at Cafe Atlantico in early celebration of my birthday. This is a six seater bar on the top floor of the restaurant that serves a 30 course "mini"-tasting menu. Washington Post called it "the smallest and most daring "restaurant" in Washington. They serve tiny little dishes that are often wacky versions or plays on popular restaurant fare. We had "bagels and lox" that looked like a small ice cream cone and an "organized caesar salad" which was the lettuce rolled up with anchovies in rolls with the parmesan stacked neatly on top. My absolute favorite was a parmesan "egg" which was an egg yolk they had made completely parmesan. The whole meal was incredible and watching the chefs construct every tiny dish was some of the most fun I've had at dinner in a while. If you want to see the whole menu, click here.

Later that same week, I got to go on a backstage tour of the National Archives. I had never been and had completely wonderful time. As someone who documents obsessively herself, I have a real appreciation and love for historical documents. Combine that with my passion and deep love for this country and the evolution of our government and, let’s just say, tears were shed. When a document written by Abraham Lincoln – a document that changed the entire course of our country – is held out right in front of you, it is difficult to take in the magnitude at all much less not be overwhelmed. We won’t even discuss what happened when this came out of the box.

Last weekend, Nicholas and I took a day trip up to Rehobeth beach because I was in desperate need of some ocean. I always find being at the beach so centering and I think Nicholas and I both are really ready for some vacation. We had a lovely day and it will hopefully hold us over until our REAL vacation to Tunisia in a little over THREE WEEKS!!!

We also went to see The Dark Knight last weekend and can I just say wow. I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been said a million times already but the movie was striking and grim. Heath Ledger was brilliant and it was a great trip to the movies.

This weekend we will be celebrating my BIRTHDAY!!!! Better send your gifts now if they’re going to make it by Monday. :) So, I’m sure I’ll have lots of fun to report next week too.

No comments: