Sunday, April 23, 2006

Justice Kennedy


At the Supreme Court
Originally uploaded by SarahorNicholas.
Last week, I had the honor of meeting Justice Anthony Kennedy. As I have previously mentioned, Jamie is ridiculously connected so I wasn't too surprised when out of nowhere he asked if I wanted to go with him to the Supreme Court and meet Justice Kennedy. My answer was a resounding yes.

The Justice came in a spoke with us for about a half an hour and was interesting and witty. He talked about the importance of the Court and the changes its gone under recenty. There was a short Q&A and I was allowed to ask him a question. I asked him what he thought was the number one mistake oral advocates make. He responded that lawyers often try to cover up the difficult, weaker points of there case when that is exactly what the Justices want to talk about.

It was really fascinating to see him upclose and personal. You expect Justices to be staid and impersonal but he was very warm and seemed sincerely interested in talking to us. All in all, it was really amazing to get a better understanding of not only a Justice but probably the most powerful Justice on the Court at this point in time.

No comments: